Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a means-tested benefit for people of working age who are on a low income. It is payable whether or not you're in work. UC is paid monthly and in some circumstances you can also ask for it to be paid twice monthly but this might be refused.

It can include amounts for housing, the costs of raising children, disability, or being a carer. Which of these you will get depends on your circumstances. It replaces the following six means-tested 'legacy' benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

UC applications and management of the benefit will all be done through an online account. This benefit is a Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) benefit and will be managed by the Job Centre.

Moving to Universal Credit

If you are already on UC, look out for a letter called a Universal Credit Migration Notice from the DWP explaining what you’ll need to do and when. When you receive your Migration Notice letter, it’s important you check the date that you will need to claim by as you won’t be moved automatically. Do not worry though, your letter will give you instructions to follow. Meanwhile, you can start to prepare for your move to UC and watch the video below 'Step by Step Guide to Claiming Universal Credit'. 

More information on UC and how to apply can be found by visiting these websites:

Move to Universal Credit

Universal Credit: Detailed Information for Claimants

Money Helper: Universal Credits

Is Universal Credit for me?

Step by Step Guide to Claiming Universal Credit