Carrying out Improvements to your Home

If you want to carry out improvements to your home, you must get written permission from the Association, and the work must be carried out to the guidelines and standards required by the Association.

The quickest and easiest way to request permission is to complete the below online Permissions Form. We will normally let you know within 2 weeks if you can go ahead with the work.

You must:

  • Get building and planning permission where necessary
  • Follow the written guidelines given by the Technical Officer
  • Make good any damage to your own or your neighbour's home, and you will be responsible for the maintenance, repair and renewal of the improvement
  • Inform the Technical Officer when the work is completed so that he can inspect it
  • Leave the fittings in good order when you move or replace the original fixture or fitting.

If the work does not meet the required standard, or you cause damage to your property, you will be recharged for work we have to carry out.

What kind of improvements do I have to seek permission for?

A few examples are:

  • Decorating the outside of your home
  • Fitting windows
  • Putting in extra electric sockets
  • Installing more room heaters
  • Building a shed or greenhouse
  • Fitting a shower or new bathroom suite
  • Fitting a new kitchen or replacing existing kitchen units
  • Building a fireplace
  • Putting up a satellite dish.

This is not an exhaustive list and you must contact the Technical Officer if you are considering carrying out an improvement to your home.

What happens if you refuse permission?

Permission to improve your home will not be refused without good reason, and only in cases where, for example it could affect the safety of your house, or involve us in extra expense.

If we refuse permission, we will write to you and explain why permission has been refused, and you can write to us to appeal that decision.

If we are taking legal action against your tenancy, then permission for improvements may not be given. Please ask your Housing Officer for further advice.

Will I receive compensation for improvements when I leave?

If you have carried out certain improvements to your home, with our permission, you may be eligible for compensation if you end your tenancy in the future.

The rules for compensation are set out in the Scottish Secure Tenants (Compensation for Improvements) Regulations 2002 and apply to improvements completed after 30 September 2002.

Improvements that are eligible for compensation are:

  • Bath or shower
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Sound insulation
  • Double glazing or other window replacement or secondary glazing
  • Draught proofing or external doors and windows
  • Insulation of pipes, water tank or cylinder
  • Installation of mechanical ventilation in bathrooms and kitchens
  • Kitchen sink
  • Loft insulation
  • Rewiring and provision of power and lighting or other electrical fixtures including smoke detectors
  • Security measures other than burglar alarms
  • Space or water heating
  • Storage cupboards in bathroom or kitchen
  • Thermostatic radiator valves
  • Wash hand basin
  • Toilet
  • Worktops for food preparation.

The compensation amount is calculated based on the age of the improvement, the original cost of the improvement and the condition of the improvement when your tenancy ends. The maximum amount of compensation is £4,000 and the minimum amount is £100.

If you owe us money at the end of your tenancy (for instance for unpaid rent or rechargeable repairs) then this is deducted from any compensation due.

If you are making an alteration to your property that might be eligible for future compensation it is important to keep receipts for the work as this will make a future compensation claim more straightforward.

If you were a secure tenant and carried out improvements to your home before September 2002, you may be entitled to compensation under the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987, if the improvements were approved and they would materially add to the value of your property. This is entirely at the discretion of the Association.

Permissions Form

Date of contact to LHA (Required)
Browse to upload a file
Browse to upload a file